Been shopping for some soulful souvenirs on your world journeys? Want to put them right where you’ll see them every day and be warmed by the memories they carry? Here are some beautiful ideas for decorating with travel souvenirs to create a stylish home.
Disclosure: I may earn compensation from the purchase of any product or service linked on this website, at no extra cost to you. I only link to products I use and love, therefore feel comfortable recommending.
Ideas for decorating with travel souvenirs
- Textiles of all shapes and sizes can make great decorative throws. Think outside the box. Hemmed items will save you time sewing, for example, I drape a batik sarong from Indonesia on my favourite reading chair to add colour, and a tablecloth dresses up my neutral bed linen.
- Fabrics can also be folded over a rod, or sewn with a small pocket to thread a length of dowel and create a wall hanging. You can display traditional dress pieces this way also.
- Hang baskets, masks, plates, hand fans, hats and jewellery on the wall as art.
- Mantlepieces, side tables and open shelves are great for displaying travel souvenirs, as long as you don’t mind dusting.
- A curio cabinet is one way to display trinkets and other small collectibles while minimising time spent dusting. My aunt had a tabletop-size, brass and glass curio cabinet when I was a child. I was fascinated by the treasures inside! Glass is great for three-dimensional items that you want to enjoy from all angles.
- A shadow box coffee table is also great for small spaces and keeping the dust off your souvenirs. There are some great vintage options available on platforms like Etsy, just make sure the shelf space is the right size for your items.
Need souvenir ideas? See our Soulful Souvenir Guide with a downloadable list of 133 souvenir ideas from around the world. You creative creatures may also like these inspired travel craft ideas, map crafts and ideas for using those leftover foreign coins.
Peace, love & inspiring travel,