Since living in Singapore for almost three years, I’ve fallen in love with the Peranakan culture. Their lively colour palette, traditional Nyonya kebayas, delicious cuisine and stunning shophouse architecture are so joyful! Here’s a curated collection of Peranakan-inspired items and Singapore souvenirs for your home and wardrobe. Even if you can’t quite make it to the Little Red Dot right now, most of these items can be shopped online too.
Disclosure: I may earn compensation from the purchase of any product or service linked on this website, at no extra cost to you. I only link to products I use and love, therefore feel comfortable recommending.
- Mini Kamcheng – Traditionally used for storing water, pickles or other types of food, these miniature versions of the Kamcheng from Little Nyonya Batik are cute as a button.
- Singapore Shophouse – Architecture lovers will be fascinated by the evolution of the shophouse and the gorgeous pictures in this book by Julian Davison.
- Shophouse Blue Tea Towel – A pretty and practical accessory for the kitchen or hanging on your wall, from The Little Drömstore, an independent publisher and online shop based in Singapore.
- Peranakan Bangles – These divine handwoven gold bangles come in all the colours of the Peranakan rainbow. Nyonyas, Peranakan women, are known for their intricate beadwork which is reflected in these modern accessories, designed and made in Singapore.
- Emerald Batik Sarong – A sarong to take you from the beach to dinner. This stamped batik piece is a modern version of traditional sarongs worn by Peranakan women in one of many colour options available from Little Nyonya Batik.
- Mimpi Clutch – Limited addition clutch in Nusantara’s Peranakan Garden print. There’s only one left in this colour, who’s going to beat me to it?
- Peranakan Tile Pocket Square – One for the gents… a pocket square printed with a motif inspired by the decorative tiles used to decorate Peranakan shophouses.
Take home some stunning Singapore souvenirs and enjoy all the Peranakan pretty things.
Peace, love & inspiring travel,